NUMBER ONE PORT HILL – BED & BREAKFAST HERTFORD.
Number One Port Hill Bed and Breakfast, Hertford is situated just 5 minutes’ walk from the historic market town centre of Hertford which has an abundance of restaurants and bars to suit all tastes. There is a bustling cultural community within the town which is reflected in its art galleries, museums, antique shops and newly refurbished theatre situated in the grounds of the 600 year old castle.
We are a 10 minute walk to both Hertford North and East rail stations which provide extensive links to London and beyond.
Number One B&B Hertford appears in the Sawday’s guide and website.
Read what Alastair Sawday writes about our bed and breakfast »
Number One B&B Hertford is proud to be the ONLY hotel in Hertfordshire to appear in the Good Hotel Guide and Alastair Sawday’s Special Places to Stay!
If Carlsberg made B&Bs, then this would be it. Fantastic!
- Paul and Julia, Suffolk.
ROOMS & TARIFFS.
This spacious double bedroom is magnificently comfortable and romantic. The room features a kingsize gilt bed and has its own elegant Italian style private bathroom with state of the art walk in shower, decadent boat bath and shimmering chandeliers.
A delightful double/twin room thoughtfully designed with elegant mirrored Venetian furnishings and a contemporary en-suite makes this the perfect space for a relaxing break.
A charming double/twin room with a bright and airy ambience due to its dual aspect. The beautifully appointed en-suite provides modern comfort with a vintage twist.
ALL OUR ROOMS OFFER:
Flat screen TVs
Ironing boards and iron
Sky or Freeview
400 thread count Egyptian cotton bed linen
An eclectic mix of reading material
Teas, coffees and Belgian hot chocolate plus little extra treats for everyone.
Room 1 – £130 per room per night inclusive of breakfast
Room 2 & 3 – £105 per room per night inclusive of breakfast
Sumptuous! Splendid! Gorgeous!
- Ian and Wendy, Milton Keynes.
BREAKFAST AT NUMBER ONE.
“Venite ad me vos qui stomacho laboratis et ego restaurabo vos”.
The Full English
Locally produced organic sausages and dry cured smoked back bacon from award-winning pedigree British Lops, Saddlebacks and Gloucester Old Spots, grilled vine tomatoes, chestnut mushrooms pan fried in Britanny butter and Italian home grown olive oil (courtesy of Gianni and Vania Dal Negro, our very first guests) and free range eggs prepared to your liking.
The Lighter Option
Organic granolas, mueslis and yoghurts, fresh seasonal fruit platters, granary or farmhouse breads, warm French butter croissants or plain butter brioches.
Homemade preserves and delicious honey.
Fresh juices, Colombian ground coffee or English Breakfast tea.
Specialities upon request:
Scottish smoked salmon with scrambled egg – £9.00
Grilled Craster kipper with poached egg – £9.00
Stacked pancakes, layered with mascarpone icing and fresh fruits
drizzled with hot raspberry and maple sauce – £9.00
Selection of continental cold meats and fine cheeses – £9.00
A wonderful experience! A very friendly host, great hotel and we’ll be back!
- Sue and Alan, Norfolk.
FACILITIES & SERVICES.
The beautiful residence of Number One Bed & Breakfast, built in 1812 and acknowledged in Nikolaus Pevsner’s Buildings of Hertfordshire, features an eclectic elegant mix of original grandeur and modern touches and offers truly first class accommodation in Hertford. From the moment you walk through the wrought-iron gate and through the award-winning garden, you know that you have arrived at somewhere really special.
Shimmering chandeliers, corniced ceilings, huge mirrors and sculptures combined with modern art, roaring fires and vintage glassware, all make for a visually spectacular experience. Off the main hall is the Dining Room – a treasure trove of glass, fabulous china and a stunning table setting.
The gorgeous Georgian mahogany staircase leads you past the luxurious Drawing Room and upwards to the bedrooms. The Drawing Room provides a chance for you to lap up the history of the house in lavish surroundings. It is the perfect place to relax, read a book or just sit by the magnificent fireplace.
The secret courtyard garden provides an intimate, romantic retreat, be it to enjoy a coffee or just to sit in the sunshine under the dappled shade of the ancient wisteria.
The obvious attention to detail in these surroundings is equally evident in the warm welcome you receive. We pride ourselves in going that extra mile just for you. We understand that our approach and our attitude is key to giving an individual and personalised service ensuring that your stay is unforgettable.
Presley, the perfect boutique labrador dog, is resident at Number One bed and breakfast and is as gorgeous as his surroundings.
Upon request we offer the following:
Exclusive hire of the house, gift vouchers, restaurant bookings, local theatre bookings, travel arrangements, beauty and hair treatments, personalised boutique shopping delivered to our door, early/late check in/out. All prices subject to availability at time of enquiry.
The Romance Package – champagne on ice £35, freshly cut flower bouquet £25 and luxury chocolates £15 – choose something to delight or have all three at a special price of £65.
We have had an absolutely fantastic time in this wonderful house. Annie is mega!! Lovely place, lovely dog and lovely food. Thanks Annie!
- Jon and Sara, Sheffield.
YOUR SPECIAL DAY.
“You deserve only the very best”.
Here at Number One we understand that this is the most important day of a lady’s life, so we want to make the preparation stages as relaxed and easy as possible, with a lot of fun mixed in too. Number One is an extraordinary venue for your photographer to capture that perfect moment between mother and daughter, companionship between life-long friends and most importantly, an exquisite bride.
OUR BESPOKE 24 HOUR EXCLUSIVE BRIDE’S PREPARATION PACKAGE:
* Personal attention by Annie Rowley to tailor-make your day.
* Exclusive use of our gorgeous Georgian townhouse, Drawing Room, and courtyard garden for preparation of your spellbinding event, dressing and pre wedding photos.
* Floral displays around the house.
* Exclusive use of Drawing room for photos or champagne and canapes reception if required.
* Beautiful mahogany staircase and landings for interior photos.
* Courtyard garden with chandeliers for photos and drinks.
* Front garden for leaving photos.
* Tea/coffee during the day for guests and hair, make up etc.
* Complementary bottle of fizz and fruit basket in your Master Room 1.
* Overnight accommodation for the bride in our gorgeous Master Room 1, with kingsize French gilt bed, tempur and pocket sprung mattress and tempur pillows. Large separate Italian bathroom with walk in power shower and raised boat bath with floor lighting.
* Two further bedrooms with kingsize beds and Italian shower ensuites included for bride’s party.
* Egyptian cotton linen, fluffy towels, sumptuous robes and slippers, huge array of teas and coffees plus extra treats in all rooms.
* Luxurious toiletries, toothbrush and shaver sets in all rooms.
* Fabulous Full English breakfast for 3 room occupancy in the glittering dining room.
* Check in 4.00pm and late check out on Wedding Day.
ALL BEDROOMS FOR ONE NIGHT (full package): £650
CHAMPAGNE HONEYMOON NIGHT:
* Master Room 1 @ £250 per night inclusive of a luxury champagne breakfast.
* Rooms 2 or 3 @ £175 per room per night inclusive of luxury champagne breakfast.
* Late check out at midday.
ADDITIONAL SERVICES AVAILABLE UPON REQUEST:
* Hair stylist for the bride and bride’s party.
* Make up, manicure and pedicure.
* A relaxing 30 minute unwind massage for the bride to relax her before her big day.
* Dining room also available for buffet lunch and/or private evening dining.
* A 3 course candlelit dinner for up to 8 people in our Dining Room or, weather permitting, in the romantic courtyard garden.
* Pimms and strawberries in the garden.
* Picnic hamper with wine so that you can escape for a few hours for cuddles and giggles.
* Extra breakfasts available for guests @ £12.50 per head – maximum of 8 people total.
* Oscar Dodd, our cocktail manager, can prepare and serve cocktails in Drawing Room.
* Champagne, wines, beers, soft drinks available.
* Lunch and dinner menus, snacks, sandwiches available.
* Champagne and canapes reception in Drawing Room.
PAYMENT & CANCELLATION POLICY:
We accept payment via BACS, debit card and most major credit cards. A 50% deposit pre payment is taken at the time of reservation with the balance to be paid no later than 3 months prior to the event. In the event of cancellation you will receive 75% of the pre-paid deposit provided that we are notified not less than 3 months prior to the date of arrival. If the reservation is cancelled with less than 3 months notice then the full payment for the event will be kept. Public Holidays and Christmas periods are subject to our policies at the time of booking. These prices remain until end of 2014 and could be subject to review in 2015. E&OE.
This historic market town dates back to before the year 911 and Hertford Castle was the chosen royal residence for many kings and queens residing in its walls for over 300 years. With the River Lea at the heart of the town’s history, its rich heritage grows year on year and has continued to be a very special place to visit.
To find out more, please visit Discover Hertford Online – click here. www.hertford.net
A little piece of Italy here in Hertford! Thanks for a lovely place to stay.
- Russ and Christine, the Cotswolds.
What a wonderful treasure trove – we have had such a lovely two nights here. Annie, you were born to make people welcome. We could go on forever about how welcome you made us feel. The food was perfection and your little oasis courtyard garden at the back was like stepping back in time. Thank you so much. We will return, hopefully soon.
- Chris and Norman, Falmouth.